Here are some of the most notable script sales from January 2020:
– Previous Script Pipeline winner Evan Daugherty (Snow White and the Huntsman) will script the Anaconda remake for Columbia Pictures. The original movie was written by Hans Bauer, Jim Cash, and Jack Epps Jr.
– …and previous Script Pipeline winner Tripper Clancy (Stuber) has an action/comedy series over at Quibi. Titled Die Hart, the series is written by Tripper and Derek Kolstad and directed by Eric Appel, and it stars John Travolta and Kevin Hart.
– Rian Johnson’s sequel to Knives Out is in development. Johnson will write and direct, and Daniel Craig will possibly star again as well.
– Jennifer Harrington’s sci-fi/action/comedy sped It’s the End of Liz as We Know It was picked up by The Detective Agency and Sony Pictures Entertainment.
– Robert Sudduth’s ensemble Latina female-driven drama spec Tias found a home with Will Packer Productions, Eva Longoria’s UnbelieEVAble Entertainment, and Universal Pictures.
– Imagine Entertainment, Joint Effort, and Paramount Pictures acquired the action/thriller The Fixer, based on an original pitch by Tyler Hisel. Bradley Cooper and Todd Phillips are set to produce, and Ron Howard to direct.
– The Man from Toronto is set up with Escape Artists and Sony. The action comedy was written by Robbie Fox, based on a story by Fox and Jason Blumenthal. Patrick Hughes will direct, and Jason Statham and Kevin Hart to possibly star.
– Over at Lionsgate and Burr! Productions, Patrick Aison to script the dark comedy MILK (Mother I’d Like to Kill) from an idea by Dan Trachtenberg. Trachtenberg will direct, Kristin Burr will produce.
– 3BlackDot acquired Philip Gelatt’s horror script Clownpocalypse. Eli Roth is attached as a producer.
– Gisberg Bermúdez will script/direct an English-language reimagining of his South American film El Silbón: Orígenes (a.k.a. The Whistler), written by Bermúdez and Irina Dendiouk. Tealhouse Entertainment and La Rue Films will produce the adaptation.
– Joby Harold will script another entry into the Transformers series for Hasbro Studios, di Bonaventura Pictures, and Paramount.
– Disney has tapped Robert Zemeckis and Chris Weitz to rewrite Weitz and Simon Farnaby’s live-action remake of Pinocchio. Zemeckis will direct as well.
– …and Disney has also tapped Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Lindsey Beer to script their “live-action” remake of Bambi.
– Mean Girls is a go with Paramount, Little Stranger, and Broadway Video. Tina Fey will write the script, based on her Broadway musical (music by Jeff Richmond, lyrics by Nell Benjamin), which was based on her 2004 movie (directed by Mark Waters), which was based on the self-help book Queen Bees and Wannabes by Rosalind Wiseman.
– For 101 Studios and and Marquee Entertainment, Aron Gaudet and Gita Pullapilly to script/direct a film about David Armstrong’s investigation into the Sackler Family, the sole owners of the OxyContin manufacturer Purdue Pharma.
– Sean Durkin to script/direct a sports biopic about the Von Erich family for BBC Films and House Productions.
– Megan McDonnel will write the Captain Marvel sequel for Disney and Marvel. Kevin Feige will produce, and Brie Larson will star.
– Mo McRae and Sarah Kelly Kaplan’s dark comedy thriller A Lot of Nothing has found a home with Anonymous Content, Bad Idea, and Mansa Productions. McRae is set to direct, and David Oyelowo will executive produce.
– Chris Bremner, screenwriter of Bad Boys For Life, will return to write the third Bad Boys sequel for Sony, Columbia, and Jerry Bruckheimer Films.
– …and Bremner will also write the second National Treasure sequel for Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer Films.
– Tracy Oliver and Dewayne Perkins will adapt the 2018 Comedy Central short “The Blackening“ for Media Rights Capital, The Story Company, and Artists First. Perkins also wrote the original short.